- I was the 10th employee at Eventbrite ($EB:NYSE), going from a $4M valuation to $700M.
- I was the founding engineer at Reforge, going from ~$0 valuation to 9 figures.
- I founded Shortcut, raising $1M after completing Techstars. Failed though. Still hurts.
- I have two bootstrapped side projects: Casting Call Club, which just hit 500k users, and Closing Credits, which will probably hit $500k ARR in its first year.
- I'm an angel investor. Some public ones that went big: Synthetix, Hifi Finance, Zilliqa, Harmony, Kraken. (See a trend?)
The Serious Side of Dad Jokes
The people who worked with me at these companies know me as a comedian, sometimes even aloof. “Quit your job immediately if you don’t have fun doing it,” I always tell people, typically when they’re just about to be fired.
I have a problem. I struggle putting myself out there. Half way through a sentence I realize the absurdity of trying to change someone else’s mind. Years of this has led me to slowly lose my ability to crystalize ideas in front of others. Therefore, this blog is really just for me. It’s a big exercise to relearn public influence.
If you tell a joke and no one laughs but you, either the content or the delivery was bad. I know from my career history that I’ve got pretty good content.
But let me tell you, my delivery needs a midwife.